1776 Saur "Gun Wad" Bible - Martin Luther Ed. (Germanstown, PA) DJRCOA
- Up for sale is a complete and very rare American Colonial bible printed by Christoph Saur in Germantown, Pennsylvania. This 1776 bible (also called the "Gun-wad Bible") was the first bible printed from American-made type (font). It is often referred to as the first true American bible because it was the first to be printed without any imported materials/paper.
- Originally, 3000 copies were made but many were destroyed by the British forces in the Battle of Germanstown during the American Revolution. Legend has it that many inbound pages of this edition were used to make cartridge paper and horse bedding. Many believe that only
- 10 copies still exist with the original calf binding over wooden board.
- This copy is in good overall condition given its age. Still with its original calf leather binding and leather/metal clasps. Bottom edge of binding is torn. All pages still in tact. Some typical browning and spotting throughout, water stains, discoloration, etc. Bible comes with a full translation of the last page. Own a truly amazing piece of colonial American history!
- Includes a Certificate of Authenticity from DJR Authentication
- Lifetime Authenticity Guarantee
- Free Shipping in the USA
Display your favorite memorabilia with pride and the confidence a DJRCOA guarantees you.